Quarr Abbey rovine, la dissoluzione dei monasteri, Wooten Bridge, Ryde, Isola di Wight in Inghilterra
Dylan Garcia / Alamy Foto Stock
ID dell’immagine: DCXXBB
After the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1536, the land was acquired by a Southampton merchant, George Mills who demolished most of the abbey. Its stone was used for fortifications at the nearby towns of Cowes and Yarmouth. One of the three abbey bells is preserved in the belfry of the nearby Anglican parish church, originally built by the monks of Quarr Abbey for their lay dependants. Salvaged stone was also used to build Quarr Abbey House.
Ubicazione: Quarr Abbey, Quarr Road, Ryde, UK